Friday, July 16, 2010

Tonight I Am Grateful

For a simple life that is full of little besides what matters.

For finally speaking to Trish, Kayla's mother.

For taking care of a debt that needed handling.

For being called back to work.

For having an immune system so strong that it slam-dunked a cold virus in two days.

For having met the requirements to be promoted in my part-time business (but I'm holding out for that $500 bonus, so I'll wait till next month to accept the promotion).

For having a calling in the arts and for being a writer.

For being rewarded by my Muse with a deeper, more meaningful direction for my novel.

Knowing, for the first time in three years, that us good guys are going to win.

For being part of a community of writers who are generous and caring.

These are just a few of the blessings that have been bestowed on me this week. There are so many more: My sister-in-law, who is driving up to play in the mountains with me this weekend. My cousin, who is now in business with me (the one in which we're both up for promotion). My sister, who just got her ticket to meet me in New Smyrna Beach in August. My cat, Bugsy, who is a constant source of companionship and love, affection and amusement. My new friend, who is always there when I need him. The summer rain coming down outside my window, complete with occasional lightning flashes and rumbles of thunder.



I just found out about Half-Full Friday and, though I found out too late to link up this week, I loved the idea and thought I'd do my own little gratitude post. Click over if you'd like to join me next week in the fun.

From Dictionary.com:

ab·so·lu·tion   /ˌæbsəˈluʃən/ Show Spelled[ab-suh-loo-shuhn]
–noun
1. act of absolving; a freeing from blame or guilt; release from consequences, obligations, or penalties.

I heard Sue Foley's "Absolution" a couple of days ago and, since I am a sucker for the blues and a wailing guitar, this is my new favorite song. I had to share. Hope you enjoy!

12 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

Oh, I loved this post. Very positive and humble. I'm glad things are going well for you and that you can see the good things. It's much easier to wallow in defeat and despair...have a great weekend!

Jules said...

I was feeling oh so happy for you and all you have to be thankful for and then you mentioned....

THE BLUES and wailing guitars!!

I knew there was more to me liking you than blogs. Anyone who loves the blues and guitars has everything they need in my book.

Lovely post.

PS Check out Cyndi Lauper's new CD

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Words Crafter, this week seems to have been a turning point of some sort. I am very grateful and I can't help but believe that a silly movie (Sorcerer's Apprentice) made all the difference in the world. And you guys. Thanks for caring!

Jules, you're a fellow blues lover, goodie! Did you love Sue Foley? That song was the first I had heard of hers, but I've listened to more on youtube and she does things to that guitar!!! She has a great blues voice, too. I'll check out the Cyndi Lauper CD, thanks for the tip.

~Olivia

Talli Roland said...

Great post! We all have so much to be thankful for... if we stop to think about it. Thank you.

Elliot Grace said...

...must be something in the air, every post I've read since draining my morning coffee, armed with a positive outpouring of enlightenment.

What a fantastic way of starting the weekend:)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful and fun post. This was really n ice and I feel inspired to create a list of my own blessings!

Enjoy your very blessed weekend :)

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Talli, I know. When I sat down to make the list it just got bigger and bigger. And they were all things from this week! There were/are so many more that I didn't add.

Hi Elliot, isn't it nice? A week ago we were all wondering where our Muse(s) had run off to. :)

Jen, oh I'm so glad! I hope you found the same thing as I, that the list just keeps growing and growing. Enjoy yours, too!

~Thank you all for stopping by, Olivia

A.T. Post said...

Lots to be thankful for, if we just stop and look closely enough. Glad to see you've found what's yours.

Jeez, I'm getting way behind on you, Olivia! Something like umpteen posts since the one I last commented on! There must be something wrong with my news feed, it keeps passing you over. I promise I'll comb back through and get all caught up with you tomorrow. Good reading in store, I'm sure!

Shelley Sly said...

I love the positivity in this post, and I'm so glad that you've found so much to be happy about! Hope you've had an awesome weekend!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder to remember our own blessings.

Ivy Bliss said...

A GRATITUDE LIST! YAY!
I love it!

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Postman, hey there!! Yes, I was quite prolific last week, not sure what got in to me, lol. Now if I'll put as much effort in to my ms this week. Glad you came around. You've got a post I have to catch up on, too. I'll be by later tonight and/or tomorrow. Just taking a quick break from CC&C. :)

Shelly, thank you, yes! It's been an awe-filled weekend.

Catherine, any time! Thank you for stoppping by.

Ivy, I know, huh. Aren't you proud of me? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...