Friday, September 3, 2010

Perfect Beach Days


Canaveral National Seashore. This was our favorite beach.
We parked our sand chairs in the shadows and ventured
out in to the warm Atlantic surf. Out here, the mind quiets and the senses take over.


Golden Silk Spiders string ginormous webs (up to 8 ft) across any space they could find in the palmetto thickets and from tree to tree spanning Eldora Lane. They bounced and swayed on the coastal breeze. Driving underneath them with the top down was quite, umm, interesting.


We sat between two turtle nests, careful not to disturb them.
The wire mesh keeps the racoons from eating the eggs.


In the foreground of this picture the yellow stake marks a turtle nest. This magnificent view will greet the hatchlings as they scamper down the beach to the Atlantic. Once in the water, they will swim to the inlet and make their way up Mosquito Lagoon. According to Nita at the Visitors's Center, the sheltered lagoon acts as a nursery.


Dunes on the Atlantic side of the barrier island, Canaveral National Seashore. The sand marches up to the sea oats, these are beginning to bloom. Behind the sea oats are palmetto thickets which abound on the island.


Mosquito Lagoon. Aptly named. I can vouch for it.

Our shadows on the Atlantic beach.

Then a shower. No pictures. :D

Dinner at PJ's. We had a yummy Mediterranean pizza (Loose Zeus) with grilled chicken and spinach artichoke dip slathered on it. For finishers, the most decadent pie to cross my palate in ages, Reese's Peanut Butter pie.
Mmmmm...


My new 'hook'. Check out the plastic tube above it full of fish. The tube circles the dining room/bar area of PJ's.

Tonight is our last night.
For the first time in years,
After a week away from home
I'm not ready to leave.
I want to stay.
Someone ship me Bugsy.
The ocean calls.

~Olivia J. Herrell

14 comments:

Tyffani Clark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tyffani Clark said...

Beautiful pics! When I lived in Florida a turtle laid eggs in my neighbor friend's backyard and they filmed it. It was the coolest thing to see!

Jules said...

Hey I don't blame you I wouldn't want to leave either.

Check in with me when you get home Ms Rebel.

Be safe getting back. :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Walter Knight said...

Turtle eggs, yum yum.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

The photo's are intensely beautiful. I don't blame you for not wanting to leave. But at least you had a few healing, excellent days.

It's been a 350 mile day for me so far, and it's not over. But I feel run over. Have a great weekend, Roland

jenny wilson said...

thanks for shareingx

Unknown said...

Hmm... does this mean you'll be moving again? ;-)

dolorah said...

So Beautiful. I love the ocean, the noise of the crashing waves and calls of the sea gulls is actually soothing. The best place there is to relax.

Have a safe trip back.

........dhole

Ann Best said...

Hi, Olivia. I found you at KarenG's BBQ. It's been fun meeting a lot of new writers this weekend.

I love your photographs. And your links. I'll be back after a brief vacation this week to look into them. This looks like a fun and colorful--and informative--blog!
Ann

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Lovely ocean pics. I'd rather be at the beach than anywhere else, although I'm more familiar with the Pacific Ocean. Turtles are fascinating!

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Hi Guys, I'm back! Missed you and welcome! I'll be around to see you all in the next few days.

Thank you! Olivia

Terry Stonecrop said...

Beautiful photos!

We've got the turtle thing going on down here, too. No lights at night for people who live right on the beach, during turtle nesting season.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! Good to have you back.

Arlee Bird said...

Looks like a grand place for a beach stroll. I'm not a big beach goer as far going in the water and tanning in the sun, but walking along the shore, especially when there is a boardwalk, I do like a lot.

Lee
Tossing It Out

DEZMOND said...

oh, what a lovely beach. I live in the middle of a continent, and I'm thousands of miles away from any sea, but fortunately frying in the sun never was my cup of tea. But a nice Autumn walk on this beach would be a dream come true.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...