Friday, June 3, 2011

Of Herbs, Litter Boxes and Polka-Dotted Curtains

It’s June and I’m happy. Bugsy and I LOVE our little house in town. Our garden is thriving, the flower seeds just starting to pop up. I’ll soon plant sunflowers for my feathery friends. The patio herb garden is expanding, including the catnip (when I can keep Bugsy and the neighborhood cats out of it).

I had several goals for the first six months of 2011. While my manuscript has suffered, some other goals have been met, even exceeded. I have a home of my own and it is perfect. It’s an older house with a big yard, lots of trees and a small wood on two sides, in a quiet neighborhood.

No litter box to contend with, Bugsy has free reign of his outdoor space during the daylight hours. He’s older now, almost seven. So he stays pretty close, spending much of his time sleeping on either the back porch or the front.

My chiropractic/nutrition practice is gathering momentum as the word gets out. I’m mostly self-supporting now, though I have a couple of major expenses that need tending. Betty needs work, including an A/C compressor. I thought I’d forgo the second in favor of driving topless all summer. But the last two days of near-100 degree temps may have changed my mind.

I have not lost 35 pounds. But I’ve lost 21, and have twenty-seven days left in June.

It’s time to go hang the crazy curtain I got to go with my funky, polka-dotted shower curtain. I’m having fun making this little house home: branching out, using colors I’ve never used. My palette now includes blues. Who’da thought?

Happy June! Olivia J. Herrell

P.S. Calvin B. Streets' new CD, FRONT DOOR KEY is completed and, from what I hear, turned out amazing. I'm waiting for a copy and will share as soon as I can. In the meantime, here's a youtube video of him performing one of the tunes from the CD called Lazy Day Blues.



I had the high privilege of sitting beside Calvin one fine June day as he picked out the tune on his Martin (Ellie Mae, the one he plays in the video). The lyrics poured out and in a matter of minutes, a song was born. Yeah. Calvin's a genius.

10 comments:

Michelle Gregory said...

so happy for you.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Good luck with the ac...geeze! 100 degrees? Glad everything else is going well and word is getting out four your practice.
Edge of Your Seat Romance

A.T. Post said...

Congratulations on your success! Things finally seem to be coming together for you.

So you're the neighborhood catnip dealer, eh? I thought the mother cats and police kitties were trying to clean up the streets. They'll bust you for sure.

Jennifer Shirk said...

That's great news about your practice and losing that weight!!

Autumn Shelley said...

Congratulations on the new place, the lost pounds and the improving practice!! I wish my kitty would learn to use the outdoor litter box but she seems to think that the indoor one is where she is supposed to go. Eeew. So glad you are doing well and keep up the good work!!

Walter Knight said...

You are driving topless again? I thought you only did that while on vacation to the beach.

Glad you are settling in fine.

Elliot Grace said...

...definitely a fan of the smoldering temps!

Congrats on your practice and the weight loss ;)

Good to hear from you again, Olivia!

EL

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Michelle, thank you! :)

Raquel, I know! Thank you!

Postman, hey there! Yeah, the cats around here love me and the feeling is mutual. :D

Jennifer, thank you so much.

Summer, when I ran out of litter (soon after moving) I didn't have any for a few days and since he got used to going outside I did away with the box. He hasn't looked for it once, just goes to the door in the a.m. to be let out! Love it!

Wally, seems I'm always topless these days. :) How in the world are you??

Elliot, you inspired me. It was a post you'd written about such goals and I thought, "Yeah. I really want to get this novel written, but I REALLY need a job to support me, a home of my own and a car that runs." Thank you for stopping by. Is "South of Charm" out yet? It's June! I'll have to pop over and see what's going on with YOU!

Theresa Milstein said...

Pat yourself on the back from me. Your house sounds lovely. You're losing weight. Your business is dong well. I hope the 2nd half of the year goes just as well, if not more so.

Unknown said...

Your house sounds adorable, and huge congrats on your weight loss success! Happy June!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...