Thursday, December 8, 2011

Rebel Rant. No Problem?

When did it become vogue, or even acceptable, for one to respond "no problem" when thanked?

This strikes me as terribly rude, crude and UNacceptable. If I have enough manners to tell you "thank you", then you can bloody well have the manners to tell me "you're welcome".

Isn't the following a ridiculous exchange:

Olivia, moved by Janice's gesture, said,"Thank you so much for taking care of that for me."

To which Janice responded, "No problem."

No problem. I say thank you, and you say no problem?

Well, YEAH. There IS a problem.

You have no manners. You just belittled my show of appreciation.

So. What now? Stop saying thank you to these people? Yank a knot in their pantaloonies by asking them where they learned their manners? Ask them exactly what it is that they MEAN by no problem?

What to do, what to do?

~ Olivia J. Herrell

Because it is Christmas, and one shouldn't dwell in negativity at Christmas (or any other time, for that matter), here are the Temptations, singing a very cool version of Silent Night.


2 comments:

February Grace said...

The one that kills me is "My pleasure," with a sticky-sweet smile- the way that employees at fancy restaurants and hotels and sometimes flight attendants are taught to say it.

Sometimes you can tell that it is definitely NOT their pleasure no matter how grateful you are for asking them to, for example, get you another roll of silverware because you're clumsy and have the dexterity of a slug and vision of a possum in daytime and dropped yours.

No matter how they respond, I still thank them anyway, it's just an automatic thing I do. I'm sincerely grateful, how they respond I have no control over.

Too bad appropriate responses aren't as automatic anymore. Though I think there are actually places on the planet where saying "you're welcome" is considered impolite- here, at least, that's still how most kind and polite people respond! Wish there were more of em!

hugs
bru

dolorah said...

Merry Christmas Olivia :)

........dhole

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...