Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Angels Among Us

I was up at 5:30 this morning for an 8:30 appointment in Midtown Atlanta in the dark and pouring rain. Thank you to (my BFF) Ginny for driving me and for being there. Dr Wray said the tumor looks well-contained. 99.9% of this type are nonmalignant, but it's of a size that it needs to come out.

It arises from the nerve root between T3 and T4, but because it is outside of the spine (thank God!) he's not the man for the job. He is referring me to Dr. Refai at Emory Spine Center who specializes in this very thing. Dr. Wray's office will handle all the up front (getting me in, records transfer, etc).

Next step? Phone call from Dr. Refai's office setting the appointment day and time.

On the one hand it feels I am no closer to getting this thing out of me. But on the other? I googled Dr. Refai and he is Director of Spinal Oncology at Emory Spine Center. Now THAT humbles me. THAT brings grateful tears to my eyes.

Never, and I mean NEVER, underestimate the power of your angels. And if you think all angels are invisible, think again.

Mine are all around me: living, breathing, hugging, crying, cheering, praying, lifting me up and just being there.

For me. Some don't even know me. But they know somebody who does.

And because they can.

Thank you, Angels. Thank you.

~ Olivia J. Herrell

P.S. I just thought of what the tumor looks like. A big, fat turkey fig, ripe and ready to pluck.






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...