Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Ten Things I Learned from NaNoWriMo

The first and foremost thing I learned from my participation in National Novel Writing Month 2014 is that incredible things happen when I am determined.

I learned that, in spite of my misgivings, my past record or history, in spite of having a full-time (and still growing) business, in spite of all the resistance that presents its ugly head in a million different ways, I CAN!

1.      I can write 50,000 words (half a novel or a whole novella) in thirty days; (My last NaNo effort in 2012 netted 19,000 – and I still think that’s a.w.e.s.o.m.e.!)

2.      I can write 10,000 words in two days; (I won’t mention that the last few hours of the second day was agony, oh wait, I just did.)

3.      I can write 5700 words in one day; (Before NaNo my record hung somewhere around 3000, and that, my friend, was a red-letter writing day!)

4.      I can be disciplined when I set my mind to it; (This is enormous for me!)

5.      I can be so focused that the world piles up around me and I don’t really see it, much less care; (I detest a messy house/car/life. I mean, if it’s yours, fine, but I prefer order.)

6.      I can forego running errands for days, even weeks without my world falling apart; (I went ten days with no ink for my work printer. I don’t suggest you do the same.)

7.      I can be not only productive, but super productive, as part of a writing group/community; (Because I’m Stephen King, ya-know and must work alone. Don’t laugh. I’m baring my writer soul here.)

8.      I can be successful at writing for a living when the opportunity comes along; (Which brings us back to that discipline thing again.)

9.      I can write without performing mass edits as I go along; (Another Huge issue for me.)

10.  I can rock NANOWRIMO!!! (And I am soooo proud of myself for it.)

~ Olivia J. Herrell

P.S. Thank you to my family and friends for your kind support and understanding during the month of November.
P.P.S. To all the members of NaNoWriMo2014 - Thank you for your support, encouragement, motivation, laughter and hand-holding. WE DID IT!! Margaret Bail, Andrew Post, Alex Ong, Charlotte Gruber, Anna Davis, Anna Pippin, Janet Riberdy Wrenn, Jessica Harvey, Marissa Campbell, Liv Rancourt, Janice Wilson, Mary Moore, Niki Cluff, Patti Kurtz, Sillysilly Silver and So Schlie.

2 comments:

Ted Cross said...

Congratulations! 50,000 words in one month is hard work.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Thanks Ted, it was and I'm so happy I did it. Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...