Thursday, December 8, 2016

Pre-Move Soliloquy

I wrote this quick "poem" on June 21st, two days before my move from Georgia to Idaho. Though I started packing two months earlier, and my sister flew in from Idaho to help, that last week was a killer. Literally. Keep reading.

D-Day minus two.
Much done.
Much left to do.
Friends pitching in
Bringing food
Love
Understanding.
In the middle
Of it all,
Bill died.
My brother, Bill.
I can’t talk
Or write
About it yet.
No time
To fall apart
So no tears
Though they sneak
Out in the morning
Before the steel
Curtain clicks
Into place.
Blessed numbness
You are a
Life saver.
Work.
Get it done.
Last day of packing
Receiving guests.
Git ‘er done
As Bill would say.
Git 'er done.

That Rebel, Olivia J. Herrell (writing as O.J. Barré)

P.S. I still haven't stopped to grieve. Or maybe, though I loved him, there's nothing to mourn. Bill and I weren't close, never were, though over the last ten years we talked a lot more and I saw him occasionally. I do miss knowing he's out there. But unlike when Jon and Mama died, I'm not overcome. Which is good, I guess. But weird. 

O.J. Barré is the author of the Blessed Are the Peace Makers trilogy. Book One, Coming Home, is in final edits. The first draft of Book Two, Coming To, is nearing completion and Book Three, Coming Full Circle, is swirling in the mists of creation.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...