Monday, March 11, 2019

Annnd It's OFF - To the Editor

Are you reeling from the time change? Me too. The U.S. simply must discontinue this archaic practice and stop messing with people's bodies and minds. But that's a whole nuther post.

Yesterday, after several weeks of tying up loose ends and threads, I emailed Awen Rising to my editor, Charlie Knight. Yeehaaa!

My New Journal - A Gentle Reminder
It was a beautiful pre-spring day. Sunny. 50ish. Light wind. After a long winter, even 50F is most welcome. I opened the window for Bugsy to join me (the dogs control the doors) and we sat in the glorious sun. Me, with my boots off, toes wiggling in the grass. Bugsy, on his cushions on the table beneath the window.

As the sun worked its magic, my muscles relaxed, my breathing deepened, and I remembered something I'd forgotten to do—I'd not tied the bow on the last loose thread. A biggie.

My first thought was, "Crap. Now I have to do more work and resend the manuscript. She's gonna think I'm a goof. Wah, wah, wah."

But as I sat and relished the evening sun, the final twist unraveled in my head. THAT, my friend, is one of the best feelings in the world.

I eventually came inside, tied the thread and resent the email. I answered with love the congratulatory comments on Facebook and Twitter. Then watched Mark Harmon and NCIS on Netflix until bed.

Now it's Monday morning and I'm reeling still. Yes, a major step along the road to "published" is complete. But the gritty truth is—my mind and my life is a mess at the moment. In fact, it looks a lot like this:

Exploding Brain - photo taken at Messengers Pizza in Nampa, ID

You know that old saying "A mother's work is never done"? Well, neither is a writer's.

Yes, it will be a few weeks (April 1st-ish) before I get notes back from Charlie—hopefully, between beta readers and critique partners, I've ironed out its substantive issues and her edits will be minimal. But there are many other tasks to be completed before release. Like the actual nuts and bolts of publishing.

While I wait for the editor's notes, I will write a bio. An acknowledgment page. A glossary. A dedication page. A contact page. And dig through beta notes for publishable reviews for Awen Rising's back cover.

I will also finish entering the hand-edits for Awen Storm. And complete the beta-read of Loving Holly, my friend, Debra Holm's memoir.
Bugsy the Harlequin Kitty - He's Lost 3 Pounds

As for Bugsy kitty, he's hanging on, though he doesn't feel well. He had a brief episode of motor-control loss a couple weeks ago. Bouts of diarrhea. Some vomiting.

Sometimes he eats more, others less. The last couple of days, he has taken to sleeping in the guestroom. And not sitting on my lap as much. He had a bad day on Friday and I had to work. But thank God for my sister's loving care. I'm grateful she can be here for him when I can't.

So, YAY! Another box is checked for Awen Rising. In addition to the cover art being complete, my manuscript is now in the editor's hands. Yeehaaa!

That Rebel, Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré

O.J. Barré is author of the Awen trilogy, a druid sci-fi fantasy set in 2042 in Atlanta, Georgia. Steeped in current, ancient, and future history twists, Book One, Awen Rising, will be released August 1, 2019. Book Two, Awen Storm, will be released in 2020. And Book Three, Awen Tide, in 2021.

2 comments:

Janet Grape said...

Big ole Georgia hugs,
to you to Bugsy,
and hope for your book!

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Big ole Georgia hugs
back to you, Janet,
and THANK YOU!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...