The comments, and there were 65 before mine, were helpful, too.
A few other things people mentioned having a hard time with were:
- Light words on a dark background because they are hard to read.
- Pictures that take a long time to load.
- Backgrounds that take a long time to load.
- Having to search for a buried Followers button.
- Posts about things other than writing, blogging or getting published.
- Blogfests, Blog chains, contests.
The more blogs that I read, the more I discovered that my blog wasn't working for me. Based on the above, I've made a few adjustments. We'll see if it has the desired effect of attracting more readers, followers and commenters.
How did you come up with the look of your blog? Does it represent you and what you are bringing to the world? Or did you, like me, just throw something up there, hoping that it would stick?