Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Sky is Crying Sunshine

Today I saw a butterfly fluttering against the window. It was struggling a bit, no doubt having just woken up from a long winter nap.

Later, I heard a buzzing, and found a wasp stirring against the door I'd propped open to let in the warm, fresh air. He, too, was having a bit of a rough time, trying out his new wings.

Yesterday, while driving home, I noticed a weeping willow bowing down with its first coat of green. And the daffodils have been blooming for a week.

Spring is definitely upon us, and the equinox is just around the corner.

I unpacked my summer clothes a while ago, from the boxes that bore them from Southern California to my new home in North Georgia. We've been here for three months. I shook them out and hung them, though the wrinkles may never fall out. They'll most likely be scheduled for a quick trip around the clothes dryer before they're worn.

Unpacking those clothes made me homesick. Oh, I know that Georgia is home. But so much of my heart lies on that far west coast that it brings tears to my eyes. And a longing to my heart.

Bugsy meows at the door to come in. And I wonder. Does he miss home, too?

I bet he does. He misses the knucklehead. And his balcony. He misses the land where he was born.

I hold my gentle comrade close. And we miss that home together.

4 comments:

A.T. Post said...

You're from SoCal too? Well, that makes this writing all the more poignant. And believe me, it's plenty poignant enough, with a lot of brilliant descriptions. I've been on the side of those windows too, with newborn bugs fluttering up against them. Not wholly unpleasant.

A nice springy post, without all the flaky over-optimism I've read elsewhere.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

P, thank you! When I signed on and reread my post, then read your comment, I cried like a little baby. Geez, I MUST get a grip. I am definitely homesick for SoCal and it seems my life here in NoGA just sucks right now.

I recently read somewhere that discomfort and crap-in-life seems to translate in to good writing. Hmm, which do I prefer, comfort and true love or good writing. Can't I haf bof?

A.T. Post said...

The corollary to that statement is: "all good writers are miserable bastards." And we both know that's not (wholly) true.

Don't worry. SoCal's not going anywhere. And I have a feeling, if you were here, you'd find something about Georgia to miss. Enjoy your stay, however long it lasts. You may not get another chance.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Hey Old Soul, you have a lot of wisdom packed in those years. To be honest, I don't think I ever got homesick for GA in the 11 years I lived in SoCal. But, I'm getting a book out of the deal, and it's better than trading with the devil...oh wait, maybe I did and don't remember!!! :)

Seriously, spring in GA is worth every minute of misery. Just have to keep reminding myself. See your Bonny post for more...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...