Friday, March 26, 2010

An Award? Really?

As a fairly new blogger (less than a year), I am constantly learning new things about the world of blogging. Like there's a word for that world - blogosphere. Since I'm a bit of a nerd and like to make sure I know what I'm talking about before I put it out there to the universe, I google a lot.

For example, I just googled 'blogosphere' to give you the correct definition. Every time I google, I learn something new. If you don't already know this about me, I live to learn. Meaning...learning turns me on, lights me up, makes me happy in a warm, fuzzy kind of way. Told you I was a nerd.

I liked about.com's answer so I'll share (this author used WiseGeek.com's definition, then elaborated on it):

"...If you've ever visited a blog in your Web search travels, you've entered the blogosphere...

...The blogosphere is a term used to describe the millions of interconnected blogs on the Internet. The term was first used in late 1999 as a joke, and continued to be used sporadically as a humorous term for the next few years. The blogosphere is a way of describing the social creature that grows from a critical mass of blogs. - WiseGeek "

While I knew this in a general sort of way, I did not know that there are search engines, like Technorati, that searches millions of blogs, in real time, to find exactly what it is you're looking for. Wow. Gotta go check that out.

I discovered a few months ago, that there are people out there in the blogosphere whose blogs I really enjoy reading. These are all people I've never met, and possibly never will meet. At least in person. Most are informative and many are funny, witty and/or wise.

Of course, we all have our own reading preferences. And our own people. Meaning, I don't enjoy or relate to everyone. Obviously. Some are too silly, or obtuse, or travel in a parallel universe that a) I don't know anything about and don't care to at this point in time, or b) is way over my head, or c) is full of caca, or d) you fill in the blank.

Recently, I noticed that a couple of the blogs I read had 'blog awards'. About a week ago, I started noticing more of these. Maybe because I'm now clicking over more often to check out different blogs, and am finding other interesting people, and the more interesting people I find, the more likely they are to have awards.

Be that as it may, a week ago I thought, "hmm, wonder what you have to do to get one of those?" That thought was followed by, "hmm, wouldn't it be nice to have one. Or even many."

Well, blogosphere, ask and ye shall receive. Yesterday I clicked over to read my friend Postman's new post at the Sententious Vaunter, and I'll be darned if he hadn't awarded me one. A From Me to You Award. Huh. Thanks Postman! This is high praise indeed from a guy who has quite a way with words.



Apparently, acceptance of the FMTY award must be accompanied by two things. 1) the revelation of seven truths about myself, and 2) passing it on to seven more bloggers. As this is my first award, I hope I'm getting this right.

So...first things first.

1) I laid in bed last night thinking of 7 things to tell you that I haven't already revealed. I do so go on about myself in my blog, you know. And now 24 hours later...I'm having a tough time remembering even one. Okay, brain, give.

2) My toe nails, which are usually always painted, are now au naturel. Soon, it'll be warm enough for sandals again, and the paint you'll most likely find me in is polka dot. Yep. When I look at my toes I smile. Can't help it. My favorite is gingham, white polka dots on firetruck red. A close second I call Victoria's Secret, black dots on hot pink.

3) I've read Tolkein's The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Trilogy at least five times over the years. When I saw the first movie, it pissed me off. I'll spare you the reasons. But I love the books so I gave it another shot (and let the movie be a movie and not the book). I loved it. I've now seen the movies at least as many times, probably more. Though I don't usually watch violent films, I love number three the best.

4) I am a cat person. Over the years, I've had oodles of cats...and they've all been black. Till Bugsy. Who is white with a few black spots and looks like a rabbit. Maybe the witchiness is wearing off.

5) I love the ocean, am drawn to it, need to be close. Preferably at all times. But, I won't go in the ocean alone. Even when I'm with someone, it's scary. Seeing Jaws made it worse. But I've always had this irrational fear.

6) Sports and I are not compatible. At least not as a participant. I love to watch.

7) Losing my mother was the hardest thing I've ever endured. It's been three and a half years. And I'm just now half back to normal.

Now for the fun part. Bestowing this coveted award on seven other bloggers. Here goes:

It's bedtime and I have an early day tomorrow. I'm seeing my first paying patient in my new, old office. Go check out these amazing writers. They'll make you smile, and laugh and cry. And you just might learn something, to boot.

I laughed so hard reading Star Child's last post that Bugsy went flying from the room. My soul sista, every head, is new to the blogosphere, and has a great photo of a potty mouth. Literally. Go back a few posts and read the Sententious Vaunter's short story about Bonnie or any of his other amazing posts. The Finger is in the middle of a great breakdown of the new health care reform. FAR Manor is alternately down home and down-and-out scary (with his post-apocalyptical novel). Murrmurrs delivers a great ham on wry. Oh, and Jerry! Read Gently Said for a moving eulogy for Fess Parker aka Davy Crockett.

Badeep, badeep, dats all folks!

6 comments:

A.T. Post said...

Well, how nice of you to bequeath it right back at me, Rebel! And thanks so much for the glowing recommendation! You're really too kind. Splendid awards post. You followed the protocol to the letter. And excellent job on the seven facts, too. Those are some rather colorful toenails you must have. I tend to go for LOTR 1 foremost; if any of them at all. (A little too much slow motion, if you know what I mean.)

My condolences on your mother.

Good stuff, good stuff. Keep it up! And may this be the first of many accolades.

Ivy Bliss said...

Oh, thank you for the award! I'm honored. I'm going to have to wrok on my seven things. Wow.
You deserve this award...and many others. You are a true spirit. It is a gift to know and love you.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

P, I'm relieved, and thanks.

Ivy, the honor is mine. And thank you, too!

Now back to my heroine...:)

Larry Kollar said...

Thanks much! I've just been catching up here, after a weekend of about 1/4 the normal time I spend online. I seem to remember this seven facts thing… I've been wandering through some of my old posts lately and didn't see it though.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Look no further...it's seven NEW truths you haven't already shared...dig, FAR, dig! Have you seen Costner's The Postman? (oh look, a chicken!):)

Unknown said...

Heh, I'm afraid of the ocean too! I always fear some 50-foot monster lurking under me waiting to snap me in its jaws, which is silly but true. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...