Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thursday Thoughts: On Being Rude, At Fault and Another's Subject

Today has not been my day.

It started in the morning when I was told I was rude. No. Not just rude, exceedingly rude. My offense? I'd brought along my breakfast (which I do to every 9:00 a.m. meeting) and, because it was in cookie form (healthy oats, chia and tiny chocolate chips) rather than a smoothie, I was rude for not bringing enough for everyone. Really?

In hindsight, isn't it rude to attack a person just because she has a cookie and you don't?

Then I was chased by a woman at a later event. She wanted to talk. I didn't. Call it rebellion, call it boundary-setting, but dang it, enough already. After a personal conversation and two emails, I'm done. I don't want to talk about it anymore. Please don't make me.

Suffice it to say, she cornered me before the meal, intent on saying it, that question burning the tip of her tongue, the one I had answered in detail only days earlier. Every time I would say something she'd get a blank look, unable to remember the rest of her thoughts. Then she would. Then it happened again. Finally she looked at me and said, "I can't talk to you."

After a further-deteriorating, disjointed conversation, I once more answered her question. She took exception and countered with a rebuke, whereby I acquiesced.

Are ya getting how I'm feeling about right now?

There is nothing quite like the sting of being made someone else's "subject", is there? Or being blamed for another's own difficulties? I walked away from the exchange, cheeks flaming, knowing that I would resign from the relationship rather than be treated like a lackey.

My lunch, the event I usually enjoy so much, was ruined. I talked to a friend about it. Then called another. Feeling better but still burning, I grabbed a rake and finished off the front yard before my 2:00 appointment. I was huffing and puffing when I finished, even glistening a bit on this chill day, but the burn was gone from my belly.

Later on, there's a conversation to be had and boundaries to be laid. But not today. Today I relish the freedom to be me, to nibble a cookie in public without qualm and to be independent of another's forced servitude.

And that's a really good feeling.

~ Olivia J. Herrell

4 comments:

A.T. Post said...

I'LL tell you what's rude: me not finishing your book. Sorry. Another round of quizzes and writing assignments (and NaNoWriMo) has done it again. I have plenty of explanations but no excuses, as Rudyard Kipling might say. I'll light a fire under it.

But yeah, I also know what it's like when someone chases you down, determine to talk to you. Well, "talk" is the wrong word. "Dominate the conversation and implant what I think into your head" is more like it.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Sometiems I just plain don't like people. Sounds like you had that kind of a day. It's why I like hiding out in my greenhouse and being home alone with my laptop.

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Andrew, me and you are square with that reading thing. The book needs a major rework so you're totally off the hook. I promise. Sounds like you've gotten a lot done on your own writing and that's a good thing!

Yvonne, ain't it the truth. I've missed you, thank you so much for stopping by. I hope to be more visible. AND by your house soon. Thanks!

~ Olivia

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...