Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Awakenings, aka Inconsiderate People

Why is it that I get so angry when people are inconsiderate?


Courtesy granitegrok.com
It happened today. Just a while ago. I was waiting for the line of cars to pass so that I could pull out on Maple Street. My chance came when the light changed, stopping traffic. But nooo. Rather than stopping short so I could pull out, some guy stopped in front of me, blocking my exit. FLASH went my temper as a surge of adrenaline and other unhealthy hormones rushed through my system.

Luckily the guy behind him was nicer and allowed me to zigzag out from behind the inconsiderate arse, praying nothing was now coming from the other direction, then pondering the anger as I checked my rearview mirror.

The other day I was in Marshalls when a woman and I, both pushing those tiny carts, arrived at the same small intersection in the clothing department. I let her go first and she proceeded to park right in the middle to browse clothes. Whaaat? Idiota! She never even acknowledged her lack of consideration. Not on your life. Clueless I tell ya, clueless.

Really people? If you’re so damned wrapped up in your own personal kingdom of SELF that you can’t be bothered to give a little common courtesy, STAY HOME!! In fact, stay in bed. Don’t get up in the morning and foist your enormous ego on the rest of the world. Stay swaddled in your own little Self cocoon.

Now, back to my original question. Why is it that I get so angry when people are inconsiderate? Because I can’t be? Because I am and don’t know it? Or is it merely that people ought to know better? To do better? Or maybe it's because I was taught as a young child to be considerate, or because it's second nature for me to look out for others, or that I simply do not understand any other way of being.
Whatever the answer, it's a good reminder for me to be vigilant, to look for opportunities to make life easier for others. Because life is to be found in the little things, not so much in the grand gestures.

Though I sure am glad the Red Baron spared Snoopy. Life wouldn’t be the same without him. Enjoy one of my favorite holiday classics, "Snoopy's Christmas".


 

Merry Early Christmas, Olivia J. Herrell

2 comments:

Walter Knight said...

Some people are only alive because the law won't allow us to run them off the road. That's what I like about writing science fiction, no one can hear bad drivers scream in the cold vacuum of space. How's that for deep dark thinking?

Olivia, you once suggested I start a blog. Facebook is as close as I can come to that: https://www.facebook.com/walter.knight.948

Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré said...

Wally, HI!!! I was thinking about you not long ago and here you are! I'll check you out on Facebook. Happy 2015!

~ Olivia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...