Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Letting Go of the Sad

I bought a new car today. Instead of excited, I’m intensely sad. I miss my old car & feel like I sold my best friend for $900 & will never, ever see her again. Or took a beloved pet to the pound bc she got old.đŸ’”  
That was my Twitter post from last night. Have you ever felt this way about trading or selling a car? Even knowing you made the wise choice?
  1. My new car is a 2013 Mazda 3, eleven years younger/newer than Starr Bella, my little 2002 Mercedes C230K.
  2. The M3 is the base model, but everything works. SB's pieces and parts were failing. Like the sunroof that didn't work when I bought her, the DVD player that bit the dust a couple years ago, the heater/AC switch that had to be manually moved twice a year, and most recently, the fluttering door locks. Oh, and the tires that lose air and deflate when it gets too cold. (Uh, I live in Idaho)
  3. My new Mazda 3 has front-wheel drive to maneuver better in the snow. SB had rear-wheel drive, though she's a German car. (It's pretty snowy in Germany, right? What up?)
  4. The M3 gets 24 city miles per gallon. SB used to get 20ish. But for the last couple of years she's topping out at 18 in town, which is 95% of my driving.
  5. I'm sure there's more.
  6. And I'm just as sure that I will come to love the Mazda.
I haven't named her yet. She will have a V-name, 'cause of the Mazda emblem. I'm leaning toward Violet. Or Violetta. Or V. Vi? Or how about Vanellope, after the princess from Wreck-It Ralph? Vanellope glitches, so I don't think it'll be that. But I so relate to that little princess. Any other V-suggestions?

For all who were worried about me driving in the Idaho snow (as I was!) you can rest assured that I'll now be fine. My research reports V is excellent in the snow, even without snow tires. Of course, my bro-in-law pointed out that All Season tires ARE snow tires. Just not the sticky kind.

That's all on the sad. After the copious tears, sharing about my sadness, a good night's sleep, and telling you kind rebels, I feel somewhat better. It's time to let go of the insidious sadness.

The car-hunt that had taken control of my writing mind-time for the last few weeks has now been handled. Today I get back to writing. The first round of Awen Storm's edits will be finished before this year ends. I promise.

~ That Rebel, Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré

O.J. BarrĂ© is author of the upcoming Awen trilogy, an urban druid fantasy set in 2042 and steeped in current, ancient, and future history. Book One, Awen Rising, is complete. Book Two, Awen Storm, is in edits. And the first draft of Book Three, Awen Tide, is in process.

2 comments:

Nuoma911 said...

I just like the helpful info you supply on your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and test again here frequently.
I am fairly sure I will be told plenty of new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the following!

Mikroautobusu Nuoma said...

I feel the same about cars. Sad to leave old car for a new one

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...