Thursday, January 3, 2019

3000 Questions - What is a Promise You Won't Break?

Welcome to 3000 Questions About Me. Or rather, About You. The rules are, if you stay to read, you have to promise to answer the questions yourself. You can share* with us if you so choose. Or you can not share, too. That's entirely up to you. But do read the comments, if any are there. That's often the best part.

Alrighty then. Time to dive into today's questions.

For me, the first was one of those, "hmm, let me think" questions. The second was more of a no-brainer. So we'll do them in reverse order, which means second one first.

Question #2067: What news story are you tired of hearing about?

All of them. No, seriously. I haven't watched or listened to the news in years. I used to say that if the world was coming to an end, someone would have to tell me. That's not true today. I see events in my Twitter feed, or in the Twitter news of the day, and if I want to read more, I surf the hashtag for related items.


via GIPHY

As a writer, a medical professional, and an otherwise curious sort of person, I've done a lot of research over the years. What I invariably find is that every station, webpage, article, etc, is a regurgitation of what someone else reported. Oftentimes, it's impossible to tell where the story originated. But after reading the same words over and over, it can get frustrating.

I am certainly not a news expert, and I'm not here to debate fake news, faux news, whatever you want to call it. We know it's happening, and even real news can be suspect. But I tire quickly of newscasters' (or organizations') endless speculation and opinions. I admire the BBC and similar stations for reading bullet points without commentary. But let's face it. The news is depressing. And I'd rather not dwell in depressing things. Not when I've got enough on my own plate.

What news stories are you tired of hearing about?

Question #2062: What is a promise you know you'll never break?

I am no longer stumped on this, and there are likely other answers. But I'm going with the one that came first to mind. In 1991, after my third DUI in fifteen years, the judge sent me to AA. It took months of several meetings a week getting a court paper signed, but AA's principles took hold. I finally got that if it looks like a duck, it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. And that those who are not alcoholic, generally don't wind up in an AA meeting.


via GIPHY

My mom was an alcoholic. My dad was an alcoholic. Both their fathers were. And most of my aunts and uncles on Mama's side, and all my dad's brothers, were alcoholics. The disease took my daddy in '79. My brother in '92. And my mother in 2006.

So, yeah. I'm an alcoholic. But I'm in recovery, and haven't had a drink in twenty-eight years come January 8th. Did I promise someone I would never drink again? No. But I did say I won't drink today. And as long is it's today, I won't be drinking. That's as good as a promise, right?

What is a promise you know you'll never break?

Please leave your answers in the comments below and read what others have to say. And don't forget to check back tomorrow to play another round of 3000 Questions About Me.

~ That Rebel, Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O.J. Barré

* If you'd like to share, click on the comment link, select the option of how you'd like to share (Google account, name/URL, or Anonymous), then type your comment and send. If you would like to receive a notification when others comment, there's an option for that, too.

O.J. Barré is author of the upcoming Awen trilogy, an urban druid fantasy set in 2042 steeped in current, ancient, and future history twists. Book One, Awen Rising, will be released October 1, 2019. Book Two, Awen Storm, is currently in edits. And the first draft of Book Three, Awen Tide, is in process.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...