Monday, October 11, 2021

Face Plant Central: Obey the Muse, Or Else

I fell on my face. Literally.

It happened two days ago, on Saturday afternoon. I worked that morning at the day job, and ran home to eat a bite before leaving for a friend's wedding. At sixty-nine, she met a wonderful man. I had been looking forward to watching her walk down that plank aisle.

It was not meant to be.

That morning, a nagging about Covid and being in close quarters with other people surfaced. I am hoping this was the likely culprit behind the fall. My being was freaked out, and this was its last-ditch effort to keep me home.

It worked.

OR ELSE...

Fortunately, I've been around long enough to know that when we don't listen to our inner promptings, they get louder. More intense. I wonder how many previous signals I ignored. You can't get much louder than a fall on the face.

After my last significant fall, which thankfully happened a long time ago, I had no idea how it occurred. One minute I was walking out of a café, the next, I was scrambling upright in the parking lot.

Sooo graceful.

This time, when the toe of my UGG boot caught the concrete seam, I was VERY aware of what was going on. It happened fast, in the blink of an eye. And, because of my forward momentum, there was no dance I could do to stop myself. No twist to throw my body weight sideways.

Nope. All I could do was go with it. And the only way to keep my head from slamming into the concrete (and possibly save my life or avoid being a vegetable) was to extend my arms. My hands contacted first, and they, along with my wrists, arms, and shoulders, acted as shock absorbers, doing everything in their power to save my gray matter and avoid a nasty splat.

Thankfully, it worked.

My face and knees smacked the concrete at about the same time. But by then, my momentum had slowed from deadly to ouchy. I ended up extended lengthwise on the driveway with my hands beneath my shoulders, arms folded under, and my lips kissing the concrete.

Sofie and Masie, the two Shih Tzus, were out front with me. They stayed by the house and never moved. I could hear neighbors talking. But when I finished taking inventory and lifted my head, there was no one in sight. 

A Photo Valarie Texted to Me
In shock, I hauled myself up and went inside. I could tell my teeth were not injured (hallelujah!), but I had two blood blisters—one on the bottom lip, the other on the top. They're both sore; the top is painful. My wrists, elbows, and arms are still sore, as are my shoulder and chest muscles. The heels of my palms are tender and sore, but not scraped because I didn't slide.

Bottom line? I am okay.

But I didn't make it to Valarie's wedding, which sucks big time. I had to text her instead. And though I'll eventually get to give her the fun gifts, I really, really wanted to be there. To support Valarie. To share in her joyous occasion. And to get out of the house and meet some new people.

But honestly? The fall could have been WAY worse. I pray I am interpreting the signal correctly.

If not? Holy crap.

When was the last time you fell? Did you hurt yourself? Was your Being trying to get your attention?

That Rebel, Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O. J. Barré

P. S. Here's Chumbawamba singing one of my favorite songs from the 90's, I Get Knocked Down.


O. J. Barré is the author of the Awen Trilogy, a pre-apocalyptic urban fantasy set in 2042 Atlanta. Steeped in current, ancient, and future history twists, Book One, Awen Rising, debuted July 2019. Book Two, Awen Storm, released May 2020. Book Three, Awen Tide, is on preorder and will be released in 2022. All are (or will be) available in both paperback and ebook.

O. J.'s Awen Prequel novelette, The Druids of Marduk, Part I, is available as an ebook for purchase on Amazon (or free by signing up for her newsletter). The second installment, The Druids of Marduk, Part II: UnderEarth, is an ebook novella also available on Amazon. Part III: AboveEarth, is scheduled for a 2022 release.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...