Thursday, October 21, 2021

Samhain Steals and Fall Feels

That Samhain (pronounced Sow-in) time of year is upon us when the nights grow longer and the days fly by in the Northern Hemisphere. Soon we'll be breaking out our favorite puffer coats and flannel sheets.

I am fresh off a 3-day trip to the Idaho mountains, where it was chilly and gray. But I got a much-needed rest in the quiet of nature. On the one sunny day, we drove to Tamarack Resort. It is between their summer and ski seasons, so we had the entire place to ourselves.

We ate lunch at The Reserve (a little spendy, but elegant and yum), then drove the resort ogling multi-million-dollar homes. Finally, we parked at the only open state park on the Tamarack side of Lake Cascade and strolled a sandy beach by the wind-swept water.

The aspens had dropped their leaves for the most part, but there were stands of lovely yellow sentinels - my first (known) encounter with the Tamarack tree, which lends the resort its name. Their contrast was striking against the evergreens, and I was amazed to learn they are both coniferous (cone-bearing) and deciduous (drop their needles).

Here are a few pictures from our trip:

Aspen bones



Majestic Yellow Tamaracks



On the writing front, you'll be happy to know that I am chugging away at Awen Tide. After entering the hand-written words from the trip, the manuscript now sits at 56K words (about halfway). And, yes, I'm on target to get it to you by late spring, woohoo!

I also retained an Author PA group - Cover 2 Cover - to create a branding package and a sell sheet for promoting my titles to bookstores and libraries. I might even ask them to help me with my newsletter. Lord knows I could use it.

AND, after much agonizing over the cover for Awen Tide, I requested a change from the designer - with a new color and a different pose. The current one just doesn't do it for me. The green disappears against the first two covers and the Awen looks distracted.

See what I mean?


LASTLY, from Thursday, October 21st, through Monday, October 25th, Awen Rising is available for FREE in ebook format.

Concurrently, but extended through Wednesday, October 27th, the price of Awen Storm has also been slashed - to $.99 - in ebook format.

So, for less than a US dollar, you can own both ebooks! That's a savings of 88%!


May this Samhain (Sow-in) season be a time of connecting with your shadow self and letting go of that which no longer serves and/or keeps you stuck.

Y'all keep reading, and I'll keep writing!

That Rebel, Olivia J. Herrell, writing as O. J. Barré

O. J. Barré is the author of the Awen Trilogy, a pre-apocalyptic urban fantasy set in 2042 Atlanta. Steeped in current, ancient, and future history twists, Book One, Awen Rising, debuted July 2019. Book Two, Awen Storm, released May 2020. Book Three, Awen Tide, is on preorder and will be released in 2022. All are (or will be) available in both paperback and ebook.

O. J.'s Awen Prequel novelette, The Druids of Marduk, Part I, is available as an ebook for purchase on Amazon (or free by signing up for her newsletter). The second installment, The Druids of Marduk, Part II: UnderEarth, is an ebook novella also available on Amazon. Part III: AboveEarth, is scheduled for a 2022 release.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...