Saturday, June 8, 2019

Knowing Ain't Always Doing

Never go to bed angry is a maxim that could relate to many things, including writing articles for public consumption. Yet, here I amfrustrated after running into one roadblock after another today. If you follow my blog, you know I have a remedy for this kind of thing. But this Southern Belle's gotta tell you all, knowing ain't always doing.
Lake Lowell, Idaho, East Boat Ramp

Especially when one's in the thick of things.

Today I was hip-deep in prepping the first few pages of Awen Storm to include as a teaser at the end of Awen Rising. Slap me in the face when I got it all shiny and singing a sweet song, then googled how to format the teaser.

Now I could have figured it out myself. But for every other step of the formatting process, there is a blow-by-blow out there from someone, or many knowledgeable someones. For this, there was nada.

What I found instead were articles by other authors. More than one made a very strong argument for why I shouldn't include a teaser. The numerous comments echoed the sentiment.

Whaaat?

There went my morning.

So I moved on to my next task. Building an author website. After a couple more fruitless hours, I capitulated and decided to keep my brand to my blog. Screw the formal author website. Y'all can find me here. At least for now.

There went my afternoon.

Deer Flat Wildlife Refuge, Idaho
Around quarter till five I closed the open tabs, slapped my laptop (Red) shut, threw on clothes (yes, I work in pj's), ran out of the house, drove to Lake Lowell, got out of the car, and let the elements wash over me.

Soon, the sun, and the wind, and the great bowl of blue sky dotted with fluffy cumulus clouds, and my bare feet on the hot asphalt, combined to tease a smile from me. Then a grin.

But, after a precious day wasted, a budding fever blister smack-dab in the middle of my upper lip, and a growing rash under one armpit, this author is down.

Down, but not out. I'm too stubborn to be out.

No, rebels. I shall rise from these doldrums and forge ahead. Tomorrow. This book shall not publish itself.

~ That Rebel, Olivia J. Herrell, writing as  O.J. Barré

O.J. Barré is the author of the upcoming Awen series, a druid science fantasy set in 2042. Steeped in current, ancient, and future history twists, Book One, Awen Rising (set in Atlanta, Georgia) is scheduled to debut August 1, 2019, in both ebook and paperback format. Book Two, Awen Storm, is slated for 2020. Book Three, Awen Tide, arrives in 2021. And should there be a Book Four, expect to see it in 2022 or later, as Awen Unleashed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...